Aspire Residential is proud to announce its sponsorship of Worthing Football Club. The club has a long history and association with the Worthing area having been established in 1886. Some of the key achievements and milestones of the club include;
- Winning the Sussex senior cup on 21 occasions.
- Founder members of the West Worthing league in 1896.
- Merging with Worthing Athletic in 1900 and in 1901 moved to its current home then known as the Sports Ground, now as Woodside Road.
- In 1905 it merged again with Worthing Rovers. In that period the team consisted of three players who went on to become full internationals.
- In 1907-08 the club reached the quarter finals of the FA Amateur Cup.
- The FA Cup first round proper was reached in 1936-37, a season in which Worthing reached the first of 3 AFA Senior Cup finals.
- In 1982-83 the club reached the 2nd Round of the FA Cup.
- At the end of 1984-85 the Club’s main stand burnt down.
- In 1985-86 it reached the last 16 of the FA Trophy.
- In 1986 the club celebrated its 100 year anniversary.
- Former Northern Ireland international Gerry Armstrong was appointed manager in 1991-92 and the following season Worthing became the first club to win Division 2 for a second time, having dropped only 12 points from the last 27 matches.
- In 1998-99 the club were finalists in the Isthmian League Full Members’ Cup and won the Sussex Senior Cup for the first time in 21 years and in 1999-00 reached the FA Cup 1st Round for a 4th time.
- In 2001 Worthing celebrated 100 years of playing at Woodside Road, an event marked by the publication of the first book devoted to the Club.
- In 2003-04 cup runs saw the team reach the Senior Cup final and the last 32 of the FA Trophy.
- Due to mounting debts, the club’s future was in serious doubt until March 2015 when George Dowell became majority shareholder in the club, clearing the debts and investing considerably in the refurbishment of the ground at Woodside Road, most notably with the installation of an artificial 3G playing surface prior to the start of the 2015-16 season.
Aspire Residential Lettings Director Rob Gamon commented that “our sponsorship of and association with Worthing Football Club was a natural choice for Aspire. The club has strong links to the local community and a rich history. We are pleased to be able to support them in the current season and hopefully for many more to come”.
Mike Jones, Aspire’s Director of Sales added “ the club represents an opportunity for the town to come together on match day and also provides educational facilities for the youth academy and fantastic social events. Members of the Aspire team are sure to be in attendance for home games this season to give the team its full support”.